As pet owners we want to ensure our pet/s are healthy physically and mentally and as well-adjusted as possible to optimise their quality of life and happiness and the relationship between pet/s and owners.
Pet behavioural issues are common, however, so l thought why not share tips here to counter those pesky issues and improve everyone's happiness quota =) Feel free to email me any issues you want covered.
POSSIBLE CAUSES & SOLUTIONS:
1. The sound of their nails on flooring may spook them
» Keep nails trim and filed
2. They may have slid on tiles when very young which has led to avoidance
» Praise them when they walk on tiles and use distraction to focus their attention elsewhere than on their fear
3. They may not have been exposed to slippery floors before
» Gradual exposure, not pandering to their fear and making the floor a fun and calm experience (toys, treats...) is the answer
Always be Positive, Patient and Encouraging when training your pet.
• Put food bowl at edge of tiles, then move it over time further onto tiles (this is desensitisation, as opposed to flooding which can make dogs more nervous)
• Put dog on a leash and walk back and forth over tiles – use treats as encouragement
• Lie on the floor with treats and favourite toys and the dog will want to come onto tiles and play with you
• Rugs with rubber backing or clear plastic runners with slightly sticky undersides can result in dogs feeling more secure underfoot
• Doggy booties with traction may have your best friend running up and down the hall in no time =)
• Paw wax from a pet shop can help reduce the slipperiness factor